Engineer for a Day
It's more than just a train ride!
For rail enthusiasts or curious minds wanting to experience the world of railroading, the Prairie Dog Central presents Engineer for a Day! Come and join us for a once in a lifetime experience as you learn how a diesel locomotive works with a day filled with information and hands-on experience.
On arrival, you will be greeted by our crew and assist in preparing the train for the day's excursion. Once the train is put together and on the track you will take part in the crew briefing where the schedule of events for the day are discussed and the departure and arrival times are established.
When the conductor calls ‘ All Aboard’ we are preparing to leave Inkster Junction Station and travel with our 300 passengers to the community of Grosse Isle. As we make our way up the track you will sound the bell and blow the horn at crossings, riding with our qualified crew in the cab of the locomotive. During the trip you will be invited to sit in the Engineer seat as the engine crew talk you through the workings of the diesel locomotive.
On arrival at Grosse Isle you will have time to eat lunch with your family and friends or spend time with our onboard train crew. During this time you can also take photo’s of the locomotive and inside the cab.
When it’s time to depart for the return trip you will again become fully immersed in the operation of the locomotive. Once back at Inkster Junction Station you will assist in putting the train away.
What do I need to know about being an Engineer for a Day?
- You need to arrive at the Maintenance Shop 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure to meet your crew for the day.
- You will receive an engineers cap, kerchief, and certificate of achievement.
- Only 1 person is permitted to participate in the Engineer for a Day program per trip.
- Engineer for a Day is available on the Diesel Locomotives only. Bookings can be made on any diesel trip scheduled from May thru September.
- Wear clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty. You must wear steel toecap boots and heavy work gloves.
- When booking the Engineer For a Day program, you receive 2 complimentary tickets for your guests to ride on board our 100-year-old coaches. Additional tickets can be purchased and our ticket agents will be happy to book your complimentary tickets and any additional tickets you require.
- All Engineer for a Day participants must be 18 years of age or older and in good physical shape.
- Gift Certificates for Engineer for a Day are available to purchase. The receiver can then call the ticket office to book a suitable date
Rates The cost is $449, all-inclusive of taxes and fees. Payment is due on receipt of the invoice. No refunds will be given however we do understand that plans change, should you need to reschedule we will work with you to rebook your experience. For more information, to make a booking please or to purchase a gift certificate please contact us.